Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark Zacharias[_2_] Mark Zacharias[_2_] is offline

Default Carver audio problem

"Tim Schwartz" wrote in message
On 5/1/2010 2:15 PM, Kinda tech wrote:
I have a carver hr-895. I have a clicking static coming out of the right
bank or speakers. The speakers are not blown. Can anyone tell me what
the possible problems are? Please and thanks for all help.

Overheated transistors a baked soldering on driver transistors for front
channels. (2SC2705 and 2SA1145 as I recall) Look down any you'll see the
darkened area of the 'mother' board. Extensive resoldering, and sometimes
replacing the transistors will cure it. Be careful, as the foils are VERY
delicate and easily damaged, especially as they've been baked to death.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

I've seen some older Pioneer surround receivers with this problem. You have
to replace about 20 transistors to fix all 5 channels, but even after
repaired the problem recurs in another several years. I think the problem
was simply that the transistors were being worked too hard - they were a bad
choice for the application, but this didn't become apparent until later. To
my knowledge Pioneer never did come up with a substitute set of transistors
to fix the problem, although one could no doubt come up with subs.

Mark Z.