Posted to rec.audio.tubes
flipper flipper is offline

Default "Beam Me Up, Scotty" (Beamus) AM Transmitter -- first prototype

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 20:31:40 +1000, "Alex Pogossov"
wrote:

"flipper" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 16:21:53 +1000, "Alex Pogossov"
wrote:
Oops, surely you are not an RF guy.
Then do another trick instead.
Tune any AM radio into a strong local AM station within tuning range of
your
transmitter. Then tune your transmitter to a close frequency so that you
hear beat frequency on the radio. It is better to have the signal from the
transmitter stronger than this station so that you do not hear the audio
but
only the beat whining (with some sideband chatter of course). Then proceed
with the above described tests. (A carrier of an AM station is even more
stable than any communications receiver.)

Regards,
Alex

Wouldn't my frequency counter be simpler? hehe

With carrier at 640 KHz frequency deviation from idle to twice idle is
roughly 70 Hz. Actual measurement was .64015 MHz (resolution limit) to
.64022 MHz.

It is not bad. I expected worse.

Were you thinking maybe a CF would be needed?

Probably 6ME8 has less space charge
coupling than a regular heptode.

I suspect so and it's one of the things I think are 'different'
because of the beam deflection.

Still 70Hz is not acceptable for listening on a synchronous or SSB detector.
In these cases parasitic FM index shall not exceed about 0.25, so with the
lowest audio frequency of 50Hz, FM deviation shall not exceed 15Hz.

But who would deliberately listening to your transmitter on an SSB radio? No
one.

Right. What I'd rather know is how much deviation is 'acceptable' for
the BCB.

So, well done anyway!

Thanks. I'm getting the impression it might not be worth even trying a
heptode or DC pentode.