Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default "Beam Me Up, Scotty" (Beamus) AM Transmitter -- first prototype

On Jun 27, 12:15*pm, flipper wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 15:36:48 -0500, John Byrns

flipper wrote:

snip.

I'm also going to try the DC pentode because, like you said, it seems
to me that ought to work about the same.

Actually that wasn't what I was trying to suggest, that was either a "typo" on
my part or I was having a "senior moment". *What I was actually talking about
was a circuit using a heptode such as a 6BE6, 6CS6, or 6BY6, I'm not sure how
the term "dual control pentode" managed to escape my keyboard.

You're quite right. You said the "6SA7/6BE6/6SC6 family of heptodes"
and it was I who 'converted' it to dual control heptodes because
'total cathode current appears to be largely independent of the
voltage on G3' on those too.

An interesting point about your 6ME8 transmitter is that it appears to be a
vacuum state analog to the solid state designs using a three transistor "cell",
which seem to be the designs of choice with many old radio fans. *In this
circuit two of the transistors are connected as a long tailed differential pair
with RF drive applied to the base of one transistor and with the modulated RF
output taken from one of the collectors. The third transistor operates as a
current source in the emitter "tail" circuit of the first two transistors, with
audio applied to its base to modulate the RF output of the differential pair.

Yes, I know the topology and was 'that close' to building one but am
not sure which was the cart and which the horse here. I originally
started thinking of the 6ME8 back when Patrick was tinkering with
Gilbert Cells because I noticed a 'similarity' between it and the 3
transistor 'cell', of which the Gilbert has two on top a current
source.

Yeah, I was going to say the talk about 3 transistors was actually
about a Gilbert Cell. I couldn't spend another 3 months perfecting
what I did with 3 transistors because I always have other things to
do. Using a gilbert cell chip probably would have worked better then
me trying to fiddle with discretes. But could a Gilbert cell be made
using 3 triodes?

Another tube with strong g3 action is the 7 pin 6DT6 commonly used for
quadrature FM detection. Another one I was intersted in was "gated
beam pentode" 6BN6, which some said never worked well as 6DT6. Maybe
these have apps at BC band F.
Patrick Turner.