Posted to rec.audio.car
Anthony[_4_] Anthony[_4_] is offline

Default blown amp?

This is a very good point. If you are going to attempt the repair yourself,
and are not experienced with soldering, try to find a friend who is. Use
low-temp irons, take your time, and use quality equipment. I refuse to use
anything other than my trusty Metcal when doing repairs.

Metcal gun + air compressor + patience = a good, solid repair!

- Anthony

"Barry & Nikki" wrote in message
om...
I have not come in contact with any "cheap" internal amplifier chips.
Especially if you go through a parts supplier. I use to repair stuff on a
regular basis and now and again to this day. The IC's that Pioneer
stereos
use are always pricey at $50 or more. I've come across a few "close out"
deals on some older chips but most of the mosfets used in today's stuff
seem
to be considered gold when it comes to prices that are charged for them.
Add
in a repair shops inflated labor costs and you might as well just purchase
new unit.

With that said if you need one I have a few 100 "older" head-units
available
or if you want to attempt the repair yourself I may be able to scrounge
up an IC for ya if you let me know the labeling on it. I don't want to go
dig up my service manual that is in storage to find the info. As for doing
it yourself a lot of today's stereos have 3-layers of circuit board traces
and most of the time you damage the inner layer when removing the IC if
you
don't have the proper tools or a LOT of luck.

"Christopher Ott" chrisott at ottelectronics dot com wrote in message
I've never been inside that HU, but if you can post the markings on the

IC,
I might be able to point you in the right direction for a replacement. A
digital photo would be helpful too. No guarantee's, but the amplifier IC

is
usually pretty cheap and from what you describe, is likely to be the only
thing damaged.

Chris

"Steve" wrote in message

I have a JVC KD-S890. I take it that the component presed right up

against
the heat sink is the amp. I'm guessing that the scorch marks around it
on
the PCB means the amp is fried. Is this the case?
The unitturns on and plays a CD fine, but no sound comes out no matter

what
I try.