Posted to rec.audio.car
John Durbin John Durbin is offline

Default blown amp?

Actually, you first said you had not come in contact with any cheap
amplifier chips, followed by the comment about parts suppliers.

It's the "Heck I have a few I'd sell someone for 1/2 that" thought
process that makes it possible to find a lot of those parts on Ebay for
a lot less than full retail.

I gather from your inability to write "Ebay" that you find their
services not only of no value but somehow criminal... I don't think
anyone is ever going to mistake them for a philanthropic organization
(particularly if they keep whittling away at the sellers' position &
increasing fees, in favor of increasing the number of unqualified &
unrealistic buyers), but nobody does a better job of allowing you to
easily turn your junk into someone else's junk for fun & profit, or to
fill your house with someone else's junk at a reasonable cost. For all
of its flaws it has transformed the used electronics business (just to
cite one segment) and impacts the buying habits of millions. Am I to
assume you think that should be done without charging anything? You said
yourself you were lucky to find the alternative part you needed instead
of paying PCP $59, does that make Ebay greedy or you cheap? Seems pretyt
hypocritical, no?

As for knock-offs, that's a good point... but the guys making big money
in fake semi's are mostly doing it selling them to greedy or desperate
factories in Asia that are being squeezed to maintain their costs so we
can enjoy $59 power amps over here. Buying knock-offs can mean they can
continue to make their profits in the process. Or you have places that
don't pay enough attention to their incoming parts inspection, have
buyers on the take, etc. etc.

Pretty tough to pay for a largescale knock-off operation selling
onesy-twoesy on Ebay...

Buying from authorized part houses like PCP or Andrews etc. isn't a
guarantee that you'll avoid knock-offs, a lot of fully legit companies
have been stung in the past. It does however guarantee you'll be paying
full retail though, unless you establish a business account with them.

JD

Barry & Nikki wrote:

I said if you go through a parts supplier. I don't consider Greedbay a parts
supplier. I have gotten deals on Greedbay however like the one that you
mention. Greedbay though is a HUGE market for knock-off/fake IC's that are a
heck of a lot less stable and unreliable than name brand.Yes I am saying
your $179 Pioneer HU can cost you quite a bit to replace a blown chip. I bet
that IC you purchased would be at least in the $30 or up range.

Luckily I have not had to replace any as of late but I know about two year
ago Pacific Coast Parts wanted $59 for a PAL004A. Luckily I did find it's
alternative on Greedbay. Just because a part is larger than another does not
determine it to be more expensive. If you want to look up a part look up the
PAL007A on Greedbay; its even $27 then scroll down and look what one seller
wants and pleads to get for his/her PAL005A. WOW someone must be desperate
if they want to pay that price. Heck I have a few I'd sell someone for 1/2
that

"John Durbin" wrote in message

Huh? I just repaired a top of the line 300W Sony ES home power amp with
a STK class A driver IC that cost all of $5.98 on Ebay. You telling me
the ouput IC in a $179 Pioneer HU is going to cost 10X what this bigger
driver IC in an expensive home amp sells for? Give me a part number!

JD

Barry & Nikki wrote:

I have not come in contact with any "cheap" internal amplifier chips.
Especially if you go through a parts supplier. I use to repair stuff on

regular basis and now and again to this day. The IC's that Pioneer

stereos

use are always pricey at $50 or more. I've come across a few "close out"
deals on some older chips but most of the mosfets used in today's stuff

seem

to be considered gold when it comes to prices that are charged for them.

Add

in a repair shops inflated labor costs and you might as well just

purchase a

new unit.

With that said if you need one I have a few 100 "older" head-units

available

or if you want to attempt the repair yourself I may be able to

scrounge

up an IC for ya if you let me know the labeling on it. I don't want to

go

dig up my service manual that is in storage to find the info. As for

doing

it yourself a lot of today's stereos have 3-layers of circuit board

traces

and most of the time you damage the inner layer when removing the IC if

you

don't have the proper tools or a LOT of luck.

"Christopher Ott" chrisott at ottelectronics dot com wrote in message
news:s9adnYjYZJ2UGvfVnZ2dnUVZ_tLinZ2d@giganews. com...

I've never been inside that HU, but if you can post the markings on the

IC,

I might be able to point you in the right direction for a replacement. A
digital photo would be helpful too. No guarantee's, but the amplifier IC

is

usually pretty cheap and from what you describe, is likely to be the

only

thing damaged.

Chris

"Steve" wrote in message

I have a JVC KD-S890. I take it that the component presed right up

against

the heat sink is the amp. I'm guessing that the scorch marks around it

on

the PCB means the amp is fried. Is this the case?
The unitturns on and plays a CD fine, but no sound comes out no matter

what

I try.