Posted to rec.audio.opinion
vlad

Default Unbiased Listening

Jenn wrote:

Jenn,

you are unreasonable to put it mildly. Is not it obvious that
electronic equipment works the same way, does not matter if you know
identity or not? I am surprised that you cannot figure it out for
yourself. I assumed it as an obvious fact.

What I exactly meant that you perception is definitely affected by your
knowledge of the equipment identity. The brand of this equipment will
affect your perception. Technology will affect it. (You are an LP
proponent, are not you?) It means that when you hear sound from LP you
have an uncontrolled urge to pronounce it lifelike, authentic, etc. :-)

As an example from my own past I can tell you that I love Bruckner
music. The first time I heard his symphony ( it was 3rd with Bavarian
Orchestra, Eugene Jochum conducting) from DGG. The LP had a bright
yellow label. Since then his music creates in me images of yellow color
flowing in the air. I know that I was affected by identity of the
source.

Huppy LP listening

vlad

Vlad, you're totally misunderstanding the posts. The question from the
OP was: "Does knowing the identity of a device affect the sound
quality?" The question is not, "Does knowing the identity of a device
affect one's PERCEPTION of the sound quality." Obviously, the ACTUAL
SOUND of a thing doesn't change when you open your eyes, right? The
PERCEPTION might change, not the ACTUAL SOUND.

Jenn,

I am glad we understand each other. So next time when you will be
"stunned" by the liveliness of the sound from LP, just imagine for
a second that may be it is not the sound but your brain. Your brain
intervenes and creates certain perception affected by the known
identity of the source :-).

And next time you listen to CDs and marvel at the accuracy of the
instrumental timbres, remember that they may sound that way to you
because your rational self tells you so, in spite of the evidence of
your ears :-)

If you prefer to think that LP's possess some mystical properties for
capturing the sound it is your choice.

I don't think that it's "mystical" at all, but whatever.

You are entitled to it. It is
your right. Bit remember - it makes you an easy catch for snake oil
salesmen. You know high end analog equipment is still expensive.

On my side I stopped worrying about religious issues (LP vs. CD) long
time ago.

I have pretty much done the same.

As a rational person I believe that the elegance and
simplicity of technology helps to get better sound. LP's as a
transfer media are horribly complex and unreliable technically. Surface
noise, distortion, degradation after each play, you name it. Being
mathematician by training I understand all information issues involved.
And believe me LP does not hold the candle to CD as an information
storage media. So I am all for CD's.

Being a musician by training, I understand that analogue often lets
recorded performances sound more like what I hear everyday from the real
violins, guitars, trumpets, etc. that I hear every day.

But of course if you like your music served from LP's it is your
choice. Just don't pretend that there is anything beyond your
personal preference. It drives people who really understand technical
issues mad. (Not me :-)

I note in your post that the "realness" goal of home audio is not
mentioned. Perhaps we just have different goals.

Oh, 'realness', of course. My point of view is that realness is an
object of religious faith. I am not a religious phanatic - audiophiliac
I am concerned first of all with faithful reproduction of the signal on
the master tape. For instance if clarinets sound like cardboards on a
master tape then I expect them to sound like cardboards on CD/LP. To me
this is "realness". If LP makes them "livelier" it is not good
for me. And I will not keep CD responsible for bad sound on master
tape.

From this point of view LP with all distortions does not hold the

candle to CD as an accurate media.

You probably expect LP to serve as an "enhancer" of the sound. Do
you?
So, I spelled my goals. What are yours?

Vlad

PS. I omitted artistic qualities from discussion intentionally. To me
technical and artistic issues are separate. I grew up on Bruno
Walter's Beethoven recordings mutilated on LP by Melodia.

I am amused.)

As am I :-)

Happy LP listening!

vlad