Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Steven Sullivan

Default Unbiased Listening

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
George M. Middius cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net
wrote:

Jenn said:

Blind tests were invented specifically for the purpose of eliminating
this kind of information.

I pretty much agree with all of the above; I've never argued against
this.

Have you ever asked vladborg how many dbts he has undertaken for his own
personal purchases to use in his home system?

No, but it's a good question.

I'm still sitting here stunned that a person actually confessed to, on
more than one occasion, mistaking the sound of a stereo system for an
actual instrument. I honestly didn't think that such a thing was
possible. I wonder if he is also fooled by synthed instrument sounds.

Actually, there's a famous lousdpeaker demo done decades ago, where
a system was set up onstage along with a real musician, both behind a screen,
and people claimed not tobe able to tell them apart.

Maybe Arny knows more about this -- I've seen reference to it several
times.

(Btw, as any good audiophile would say,
maybe you've just never heard a *really* hi-end system, Jenn ; )

--
-S
"If men were angels, no government would be necessary." - James Madison (1788)