Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jjaj1998@netscape.net is offline

Default Small Recorder Recommendation

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 12:47:36 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
On 05/04/2017 17:22, Michael Beacom wrote:
I think she wants to dub her original recordings, so these guys guessed
correctly.
If I'm lucky, she recorded the cassettes on her Marantz (PMD 221?)
reporter's cassette deck. She had it with here, and it apparantly still
works. Which brings up another issue- The playback machine should be
serviced.

When it does get serviced, don't touch the azimuth, as if it was
incorrect when recording, it will need to have the same error when
playing back. If it is altered, then the playback will lose HF. If it is
felt necessary to do anything other than cleaning and demagnetising to
the head, then the self recorded cassettes should be used when checking
the alignment after adjustment. Also, make a test recording using the
same type of tape, and use that to calibrate the Dolby playback settings
in the DAW plugin if used.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

If Mike is correct, it looks like this recorder is for Dictation (maybe the D in PMD). So, I wouldn't even think about screwing with head adjustment. $349 USD in its day!

Jack