Nousaine

Default Comments about Blind Testing

(Mkuller) wrote:

Thank you for a very intersting and thought-provoking post.

Yes, I agree. Thank you.

I completely
agree
that "testing" is not so simple as some would have us believe and that
experience and 'listening biases' play a large part.

The latter for sure. That's exactly why we need bias controls. Level matched
and double blind is the best.

One comment below:

"watch king"
wrote:
If there really was a wire that was substantially better sonically
then "super consumers" like Disney would do the testing (at whatever
cost) so that they could deliver the AES papers that would make
greater prestige for Disney.

A couple of years ago, MIT was commissioned to completely rewire the
recording/performance facility at George Lucas' Skywalker Ranch in No. CA
with
their cables.

Was MIT "commisioned" or did they volunteer? The reason I ask is that when I've
asked recording industry personnel about the brand-names that have appeared in
liner notes they have always told me that cable companies approached them about
cabling needs and would "offer" to supply cabling at no cost in return for the
brand name appearing in liner notes or other studio literature.

Listening isn't a competative sport, but buying equipment is.

Right on.

Regards,
Mike

Neither is a competitive "sport" for those who are interested in maximizing
sonic quality through-put and not ego-satisfaction or ego-insecurity
minimization.