Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default LAME conversion to MP3

wrote:
Trevor wrote:
I'm sure you know this, but the old compression Vs compression Vs
compression linguistic problem raises it's head once again.

That's why, in both professional and layman circles, I refer to compression
ONLY in the context of dynamics and dynamics processing, and 'data size
reduction' or 'data reduction' in the context of lossy file conversion.

The thing is, the nonlinear encoding used by ADPCM isn't really either of
these things.

You -might- refer to it as "companding" if you had to, but really that's
still pushing it. "Nonlinear encoding" is as good as it gets.