Posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default Industry rags

On Feb 11, 11:52*am, Arkansan Raider wrote:
Hey folks!

I seem to remember a discussion of industry mags a while back, but I
don't remember which thread it was in.

My question is: Which of the music industry mags are worth subscribing
to from both a tech learning standpoint and an industry learning
standpoint? IOW, how-tos on tech and info about the industry/music
business in general.

Scott, I know you contribute to Recording Magazine, and that is one that
I'm considering subscribing to. I liked it back when I was subscribing,
and I've seen some issues lately that looked interesting.

I just hit a link to Sound On Sound that was an article link from the
turnmeup.org link in the LOUDNESS WARS thread. It looks really
interesting and pretty dang thorough. Seriously thinking about that one.

I remember that Mix used to be pretty good, but I seem to remember
reading in that earlier thread that it has degenerated somewhat--is that
accurate?

I used to pick up Electronic Musician, but I've not read one in a while.

I'm not sure how many mags I want to subscribe to, certainly Recording
Magazine and possibly Sound On Sound, but if much better content is out
there, I'd like to know.

What's your opinions, folks?

---Jeff

__________________

Yeah, like when Stereo Review was Stereo Review? With folks like
Julian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Hirsch at the helm? And
other mags that, while nerdish by today's standards reviewed equipment
with a professional air, and between reviews were a lot of good
articles on "best practices" and the basics? I'd give real hens'
teeth for some of Hirsch's transcripts!

If there's one thing digital audio and digital processing has done is
totally alter this landscape. I guess Mix still harkens somewhat back
to that simpler time. Haven't seen Live Sound for a while.

-ChrisCoaster