Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

Default Pure Music to DAC - again

I am coming to the conclusion that a simple optical line from my MacBook
Pro to my DAC might be the best way to go. The problem is it would
probably be about 25'. Does anybody have any experience with optical
lines of that length?

I tend to think of optical as being purer than analog over long
distances, but I have no idea if that is correct or what problems could
occur. An analog line might actually be better.

In other words, I could move my DAC near my MBP and run a pair of analog
lines from the DAC to the stereo. This would likely be much bulkier and
more expensive, but that is how I am driving my power amps from my
pre-amp and that works fine. Of course, the signal level is much higher.