Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire[_2_] Audio_Empire[_2_] is offline

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

On Monday, August 5, 2013 4:36:31 PM UTC-7, Robert Peirce wrote:
In article ,

Scott wrote:

i gotta say, with classical music if there is sound reinforcement and I am
there it is for one of two reasons. Either someone I absolutely have to see
is playing or I got free tickets. Otherwise it is a deal breaker for me. What
blows my mind is that someone would show up and be surprised by the presence
of sound reinforcement. It's a big world and I guess all kinds of things
happen but I have never been to a classical concert that used sound
reinforcement that I didn't know about ahead of time.

Another thing that irritates me is theatre. More and more that is being
amplified as well. I have shown up for amplified shows without knowing
it. With small group music you can usually figure out what instrument
is coming through the PA system. In theatre it is often difficult to
pick out the actor who is speaking or singing.

Most of this is a case of "doing it because they CAN rather than because
they SHOULD" Theater existed for centuries without SR. One exception
of course, is outdoor theater where wireless mikes on the actors is a
boon. I don't mind amplified voices where it helps one hear the dialog
but not for music.