Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Haley Andrew Haley is offline

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

Audio_Empire wrote:
On Sunday, August 4, 2013 7:32:42 PM UTC-7, Andrew Haley wrote:
Audio_Empire wrote:

Quite a few, actually. In fact I tried to attend a local big-band
jazz concert just last weekend where sound reinforcement was
evident. I left. Same with a symphonic band concert held in a large
church several months ago. Now, I'll say this. I haven't yet
attended an indoor symphony concert where sound reinforcement was
used, but I understand that it is done. I've stopped attending
outdoor concerts of any kind for that reason. I just don't want to
listen to a P.A. system. It seems elementary purpose defeating to
me.

Why? Aren't you there for the music?

Well, sure. I'm there to have a live musical experience listening to
real instruments playing in real space. But I'm also there to
"re-calibrate" my ears with live music.

It seems to me that this is the crux of our whole argument. I'm not
there to listen to "real instruments playing in space", real or
otherwise. I'm there to listen to the musicians, who hopefully have
something to say. Whatever that is, they'll use the tools they want
to use, and if some of them are electronic, fair enough. The whole
idea that you might leave a concert for such a reason seems to me to
be totally insane, especially if you have great performers.

I feel cheated spending money to listen to some lousy Public Address
system, and some unknown "sound-guy's" idea of how an ensemble
should sound.

Or some genius sound guy with a really good PA: that argument cuts
both ways.

It seems to me that you're prioritizing your notion of the "ideal
sound" above the whole point of musical performance, which is
communication between musicians and an audience. The quality of the
sound surely comes a very distant second to the emotional and
intellectual communication between the audience and the performers,
something that is very much a two-way street.

I'm appalled that you'd walk out of what might be an electrifying
performance by on-form and talented musicians for such a trivial
reason.

Andrew.