Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

On Sunday, August 4, 2013 7:32:42 PM UTC-7, Andrew Haley wrote:
Audio_Empire wrote:
=20
=20
=20
Quite a few, actually. In fact I tried to attend a local big-band

=20
jazz concert just last weekend where sound reinforcement was

=20
evident. I left. Same with a symphonic band concert held in a large

=20
church several months ago. Now, I'll say this. I haven't yet

=20
attended an indoor symphony concert where sound reinforcement was

=20
used, but I understand that it is done. I've stopped attending

=20
outdoor concerts of any kind for that reason. I just don't want to

=20
listen to a P.A. system. It seems elementary purpose defeating to

=20
me.

=20
=20
=20
Why? Aren't you there for the music? Why does it matter if the music
=20
is amplified? If the interpretation and the playing is good, won't
=20
you enjoy it anyway?
=20
=20
=20
Andrew.

i gotta say, with classical music if there is sound reinforcement and I am =
there it is for one of two reasons. Either someone I absolutely have to see=
is playing or I got free tickets. Otherwise it is a deal breaker for me. W=
hat blows my mind is that someone would show up and be surprised by the pre=
sence of sound reinforcement. It's a big world and I guess all kinds of thi=
ngs happen but I have never been to a classical concert that used sound rei=
nforcement that I didn't know about ahead of time.