Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

Default Audio Research VM220 and VT200 amps have serious design shortcomings......

On 02/07/11 22:03, Patrick Turner so witilly quipped:
Maybe one day during my next lifetime when I return after re-
incarnation from this life I will R&D a SMPS which is acceptably
rugged and effective and cheap.

Don't hold your breath.

more fun, use tubes

I think that the power pentodes that were used in horizontal flyback
circuits might do well enough. The current ratings are generally high,
even at relatively low plate voltages, and of course they tolerate very
high plate voltages as well. It's sorta needed for a flyback to work.
It also seems like something you'd want for a switching PS. A 'flyback
effect' might even work for the switch, provided that there's an
isolation toroid (similar to solid state switchers). Not sure how many
tubes it would take, but it would be a fun project.