Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rockinghorse Winner[_6_] Rockinghorse Winner[_6_] is offline

Default Subwoofers

* It may have been the liquor talking, but
Arny Krueger wrote:

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 05:12:40 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Audio Empire" wrote in
message
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 04:52:40 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Rockinghorse Winner"
wrote in message

Uh, ok. I would like a nice sub, but first I need to
upgrade my CD player.

Upgrade or replace?

If it sounds bad, then its almost certainly broken.
Tacking a DAC onto a broken CD player is like a house
built on shifting sand. If the player breaks the rest
of the way, then the money invested in the DAC is good
money thrown after bad.

He didn't say that his current CD player sounds bad. He
said it sounded a little soft for his taste.

Ah, the mythology of good players that sound bad rides
again!

TASTES, Mr. Kruger.

Taste presumes relevant differences.

Let's say that you met someone who would walk up to a case of bottled water
and carefully inspectes each (identical) bottle, and then pick one claiming
that it tasted better than the rest.

Let's say that someone would only drink a given brand of bottled water in a
certain size?

Most of us would say that someone is acting pretty strange - sort of like
Mr. Monk the detective on TV.

Some people like different things in the way their systems sound.

The key parameter here is the easily disproven idea that all CD players have
a characteristic sound.

One person might prefer
"soft" while another might prefer that their system sound
a bit "brighter". Just because one player sounds soft and
another sounds bright doesn't mean that either one of
them is defective, however.

If they sound different than at least one has failed to be sonically
transparent. Any CD player that fails to be sonically transparent is either
broken now or started out that way.

I'm not one to try on different speaker cables searching for the right one,
because there are math-based reasons why this is futile.

However, a CD player contains so many different components and varying
circuits in both the digital and analog sections, that it would be
unreasonable to suppose that there would NOT be differences in the analog
signal that comes out of them.

If the transport is working correctly, then an outboard
DAC is a very reasonable way to "upgrade" it.

Ah, the mythology of good DACs that sound bad is back to
haunt us.

Who said anything about something sounding bad?

Any DAC that fails to be sonically transparent is either broken now or
started out that way.

You might
like the taste of brussels sprouts, and I might not.

That presumes that good DACs sound can possibly sound different from each
other. They can't. The mission of a DAC is to be sonically transparent.

We all know that good vegetables can taste different, even bussels sprouts
from the same plant depending how ripe they are when they are picked.

Completely different thing.

*R* *H*