Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Mic preamp comparison

On 21 May 2021 15:12:52 -0000, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Ty Ford wrote:
The mic/preamp match is not a simple thing. Years ago I found that a certai=
n SD mic sounded better through a Mackie preamp than my GML. I was surprise=
d. I don't think it was due to a problem with the GML. I think a better mic=
would have sounded MUCH better with the GML than the SD mic in question so=
unded with the Mackie.=20

It's not so hard in the condenser mike world where you can design an
amplifier to go into a wide range of loads, but with a dynamic or ribbon
mike it's hard to make a mike that is immune to loading and also has a high
output level. Plenty of mikes like the SM-57 are touchy about loading,
while others like the 441 sacrifice efficiency for being able to work into
a wide range of preamps without changing response.
--scott

It's easy with a condenser mic because the first stage of the preamp
is built into the mic, so the loading is always going to be right.