View Single Post
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to rec.audio.pro
external usenet poster

Default Always wanted to try a Mac.

PREFACE: Well, at least the most obvious Mac-bashing has abated. Probably due more to the natural aging process of the dissenters than anything.

I started with a Mac SE around 1987. I had been exposed to DOS at work. It seemed obstructive and clunky. I don't write code. (I still have the SE30 and fire it up on special occasions; July 4th, Halloween, Steve Jobs birthday) I don't want to go to the command line. Call me a pussy if you want, but I'd rather do work on a computer than work on a computer.

I now have a trail of three aging Macs that I manage to keep working, the MacBook Pro I'm writing this comment with and a one year old iMac monster with a 4TB SSD. I have kept the older ones running because I can, and because there are apps that no longer run on the current OSs.

I can see any of the Macs on my wireless system from any other mac. I also have a printer/scanner wirelessly connected. No extra upgrades needed. All Macs network. I do work on them periodically. I just swapped out a failed interior System/Apps drive yesterday. It was easy. Shut down, open the case, pull the drive, put in the new one, close the case, restart, initialize the drive, open carbon copy cloner and clone the backup Sys/Apps drive to the new one. I have also swapped RAM and done a few other interior jobs over the years. I find the insides, usually, intelligently designed.

CORE CONTENT: I've never had a Mac Mini and wouldn't buy one on a bet (or otherwise). I just don't like the form factor and where's the damn CD/DVD drive! (I know, you don't get one today, and they are becoming irrelevant, but they can also be damn handy.)

The piece you're eyeing is a 2012 Mac. While the price may be attractive, you may just be buying an obsolete hockey puck, well, semi-obsolete anyway.

Each time I have bought a Mac, I have bought a new Mac; in the middle or slightly above the given feature set. I didn't get the absolute fastest iMac, but I did get a 4TB SSD. I'm running Apple Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro on it. So far, no fans have been audible or come on.

My advice is not to get this Mac Mini unless you want to torture yourself (or it, or both). Stay where you are. Instead, buy a nice electric recliner for the big screen room.

Regards,

Ty Ford