Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

Default Always wanted to try a Mac.

In message , Tobiah
writes

I suppose it's the price barrier that holds me back.
I normally just go to Fry's and get a mobo combo for
a couple three hundred dollars when it's time to
upgrade a machine. I've had the same case for 15 years.

I sometimes get the idea though that the audio industry
favors Apple products. I also love that OSX is built
on a *nix kernel. I spend most of my time at work in
a shell on Linux. It's my comfort zone. I do Cygwin
and dabble in the Windows Subsystem for Linux but it feels
like double wrapped sex.

Anyway, I've been considering a Mac MINI. I saw one today
with the caption:

Refurbished: Apple C Grade Desktop Computer Mac mini MD389LL/A-C
Intel Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB 2 TB HDD Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

From a reputable source for $359.

How difficult will it be to use this box with my existing
monitor with dual DVI input? If I replace the monitor with
a modern 4k, will I need an adaptor? Will this box drive 4k?

Is it suited well to hobby level realtime DAW work?

Does it have a fan? Is it quiet enough to just sit on my
desk near my mics or will I have to build a box or something?
My current tower is in a closet behind my desk. That works
fine from a noise standpoint, but inconvenient often when I
need access to the machine.

Thanks for any tips or alternatives.

Tobiah

Interesting!

I have a close friend, a broadcast and magazine music journalist and
reviewer, who suddenly told me he had always fancied a Mac and had just
purchased a refurbished 21" iMac running OSX Sierra, 3.06GHz i3, 8GB,
500GB.
This was followed by a message a week or two later that he was passing
it on to his wife and investing in an iMac with a larger screen as his
eyes were not up to the small font.
His previous totally Windows set up included his main almost state of
the art machine with a huge monitor, SSD + 2TB HD etc, etc. He is,
however, on Windows 10 and has been hit by the lengthy updates and some
resultant unexpected changes.

I am his main computer support, often using Teamviewer. I have never
used a Mac, but use Linux for the backup machines here.

Teamviewer works from me into the iMac, the only noticeable difference
seeming to be that he and I now have independent cursors rather than
sharing as in the PC. I am now just about able to navigate my way around
his Mac and have assisted (?!) with internet and email access, in
getting the keyboard set up correctly, setting up printers and with
transferring many files across.

He still seems besotted with the Mac - he keeps referring to one
publisher who has encouraged the move - in spite of my questions of
"why?".

He does just use computers for word processing and document management,
but does listen to music held digitally in one form or another. When he
has needed to edit audio, I have remoted into his machine and edited for
him.

He has already been asking about installing an SSD in his Mac. I have so
far refused.

I honestly see no advantage that he has gained by the move. I keep
telling him that I have recently upgraded a couple of Lenovo laptops
here to more modern touch +pen convertible ones with SSD's plus big
HD's. Each cost about half what he paid for his iMac, and is at least as
powerful, albeit with the smaller screen.

I doubt this post is of much help, but hopefully will be of some
interest.
--
Bill