Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Metering Software Question

On 2/10/2017 9:02 PM, wrote:

OK, here's a 640x360 copy -
http://MIX.ORG/__IMG_0588.MP4

It's a bit odd, but it wouldn't really bother me. But then, I'm not a
very visual person. I never played video games.

The explanation could be as simple as that it draws your attention
to the fact that you had a peak and that maybe you should drop your
record level a tad.

I can't imagine anyone working that way...

I can't imagine anyone making a recording and keeping their eyes glued
to a meter. But we all have our own way of doing things. Those Sound
Devices machines have all sorts things on their menus. Are you sure
there aren't alternative metering displays? Or are there and they all
have the floating peak meter thing?

You do realize, don't you, that knowing how close you are to reaching
full scale level is pretty important in the digital world? Some people
appreciate being informed.

It's possibly more informative than a peak indicator that stays on
until you reset it.

...and I don't see how this can be.

Because a hold-until-reset peak meter only tells you about one full
scale peak. You don't know if that was a fluke or if your've been
banging the meter up there for a while.