View Single Post
  #50   Report Post  
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
external usenet poster

Default Questions for Pat Turner

Andre said....
Arrays are okay in their place -- outdoors, as you say -- but I have my doubts about the efficacy of large-unit or large-number indoor arrays. Seems a waste of ESL, to put it mildly.
Andre Jute

The owner of the 3 stacked ESL pairs had them all re-membraned by John Hall in Melbourne. Must have cost about $12,000++. I agree its a bit over the top. But old ESL57 are continiually turning up in deceased estates as old owners drop off their perches, or their sons don't want them, and surely most women don't like them. So, there's a constant stream of ESL57 becoming available for those who want them, a small number of ppl I would suggest, and for the well healed, it matters not if they have stuffed membranes because they can be fully restored and made to go for another 50 years.
I see all sorts of ppl spend all sorts of sums on stuff I'd never want. Sure I'd like a mint 1935 Bugatti, but I would not own it, it would own me, and gees, the fuel bill would be horrendous, and probably, I'd not do any better pulling chicks than i do with a bicycle.
Patrick T.