Mike Rivers

In article XSEMd.266370$6l.94255@pd7tw2no writes:

What do you mean about the tape? Is it hard to find tape for it?

If you just started thinking about an analog recorder this week, you
might have missed all the hubbub at the first of the year. Quantegy
shut down their plant on December 31 and they were the last company
making professional audio recording tape. They're back to making tape
again, but in limited quantities, and possibly will stop for good when
they expend all the raw materials they have on hand. Or maybe not. So
at the moment, 1/4" tape of any type is in fairly short supply.

I read somewhere that DAT is good and precise to a certain degree but
because it is digital if you change its duration (if you have to alter
the length of an audio segment by 0.1% to fit telecine transfer rates
for example) it forces it to resample and you loose quality.

Everything causes you to lose quality. The point is that with
professional equipment, you can afford some loss and still produce an
acceptable product that doesn't suffer from the loss.

On the
other hand analogue tape is always smooth. That is why some DAT
recorders have that special sample rate option to use 48.48 KHz (I
guessed the decimal) instead of the regular 48 KHz. That sampling rate
is for the 0.1% length adjustment for video transfers.

This has a different purpose than for live shooting.

Its just a hobby of mine and I would have a hard time justifying
spending much money on all this.

So spend a little money. People are making perfectly acceptable music
videos using an inexpensive digital video camera and a program such as
Vegas. As a 16 mm hobbyist, you'll have to spend some money, plus keep
spending the money to keep your affordable gear working well.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )