dale

mike you are confusing yourself.

"I would like to record some live flute and piano music. Some of the
flute music is solo and some is accompanied by the piano. I am looking
for a portable recorder rather than a computer laptop solution due to
cost issues and some portability issues.

I have considered purchasing one of the new Hi-MD minidisc recorders,
I read a research paper [1] about the "warmth" of analogue recordings.

Eventually (within a year), I would later digitize the analogue
recording into my computer desktop station which is at another
location. "

why not just record the audio in the right format for all your future
projects and avoid the transferring from different formats, analogue
md dat 48.........., there is a lot of extra **** to do then
transferring.

have you done any further research including some aural investigation
into this.

"so I am looking for a solution that can withstand some editing
adjustments and resampling. (i.e. for NTSC video applications I will
have to lengthen the entire sound track length 0.1%). Therefore if a
digital recording solution is used it will have to be the highest
possible sampling rate"

go 96 / 24 digital,

flute and piano will sound best with quality recording gear and
practiced technique.
you could start with stereo IO as it seems you have some budget.

Dale