Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

Default laptop rec for live performance

zikester wrote:

Seems like this problem with the Agere firewire chip is limited to
Macbook Pros, correct? I didn't see this explicitly stated, but every
post that discussed this mentioned a MBP, not Macbook. But thanks for
the heads-up, this is exactly the type of problem I wanted to be aware
of *before* plopping down cash...similarly, if any of you have a
configuration that is windows-based that works, and is low-latency,
rock solid, then that's also something I'd love to hear...Thanks!

The fact is, that the latest MacBooks do *not* have FireWire built-in and no
expansion slot for a FW card.
If you want/need FW, you have to buy a "MacBook Pro"...

Windows-based laptops with FW controllers (and usually expansion slots, too)
can be found at lower prices than a MBP.
I´ve used a 4 year-old Dell Inspiron laptop with a TI FireWire chipset a few
times now without any issues.
MOTU 828 Mk2 - laptop via FW - Cubase SX3

Recorded up to 10 tracks at once successfully - at 24 bit / 44,1 kHz WAV.

Phil