Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] khughes@nospam.net is offline

Default Nirvana, or close to it?

Scott wrote:
On Aug 15, 9:05 am, ScottW2 wrote:
On Aug 14, 6:16 pm, Scott wrote:

On Aug 14, 1:00 pm, ScottW2 wrote:
On Aug 14, 6:00 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"codifus" wrote in message
And that there are
also devices that measure poorly but sound great?
That can easily happen because of the rediculously high standards some
people have for measured performance.
Or the ridiculously low standard for "sounds great". Reference SET
lovers.
Have you never heard a SET based system sound great?

I have with significant constraints on it's use, the major one
being SPL. Increase the volume only slightly to well below
anything approaching live levels and
audible increases in distortion resulted in completely
different sound results. IMO, such a system has a very low
standard for "sounds great".

I can see how that can be an issue with most speakers. I have heard a
few SET based systems that used very efficient speakers that sounded
pretty darned good. even great in some cases. SPLs were not an issue
in those systems. I fail to see the "lower standard." If something
sounds great it sounds great. No? What is the 'lower standard?" Is it
just your particular experiences and the issue of SPLs?

Note to the moderator. I assure you I will remain civil with Scott W.
I am confindent he will do the same with me.

Personally, I've never heard speakers with efficiencies great enough to
get realistic SPL's from SET's unless they were horn loaded, and for my
tastes, I've not heard any "great" sounding horns (haven't heard them
all, no).

That aside, I think the point with SET's is the significant constraint
they put on speaker choice. That was the gist I got from ScottW's 'low
standard' description. With the constraint of such low power, you do
not have the freedom to choose whichever transducers (admitted by
virtually everyone to be the most colored of all system components)
sound best to you, while maintaining the ability to achieve realistic
SPL's, unless you "just happen" to think horns are the best sounding
speakers.

Keith Hughes

Keith Hughes