Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Just received a new conrad-johnson GAT preamp

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:49:48 -0700, Ron wrote
(in article ):

All I am concerned about is performance for the money. Where does one
start? Obviously I am in the wrong circles when my local audio dealer
tries to sell me a $20K tube pre-amp, the press I am reading raves
about how great it is despite the price, then I find out the item is
made from $400 worth of parts. I am a fairly technical person
(computers) but don't think I have the time or inclination to get down
to DIY kits. Does an audiophile community exist out there that
stresses performance and value over bling and vanity items? Are these
local communities and is this philosophy championed any specific
companies (Outlaw Audio perhaps???). You would think there is a lot
of money to be made in this niche.

It may be too late for me to benefit from this info (Wisdom Audio,
ML32, Krell, etc..) but I have many friends which I have converted to
high end that are currently assembling their systems.

Thanks

Their are GREAT audio bargains out there and decent performing new components
at reasonable prices, but - and here's the rub - you really have to look for
them.

How about a great performing MOSFET 150+ Watt/channel stereo power amp for
$200?

How about a fine sounding 65 Watt/channel KT88 tube amp that is a dual mono
design, with 5 pairs of line-level inputs, separate power supplies (including
separate power transformers!) and ceramic tube sockets and all hand wired,
gorgeously finished for under $700?

How about a marvelous tube preamp that's circuit-wise a virtual copy of the
famous Marantz 7 for about $250?

How about a quiet, FET preamp (and a copy of an older Nelson Pass design)
with a decent phono stage for $200?

How about a 24-bit/96KHz DAC that perform superbly for @$100?

All of this and more is available, but you won't hear about it in the audio
press. Of course speakers are different. They are largely a matter of taste
(as none are even close to perfect). That's where the bulk of your money
should go. But there is gorgeous stuff out there, mostly made in China or
Taiwan that are real bargains. How long they'll remain that way is unknown,
but right now, is great time to be an audiophile. There's fine equipment
available at great prices for those who look for it.