Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ron[_12_] Ron[_12_] is offline

Default Just received a new conrad-johnson GAT preamp

I am a typical consumer of high end audio. I love music and can
appreciate music coming from a great system. My sense of musicality
and need to hear natural sounding music with clarity and detail is
what drives me to high end audio. I am not an engineer and when you
go on about this tube and that circuit I haven=92t got a clue what you
are talking about although I appreciate your ability to understand and
distinguish good design and hardware from bad. I have the ability to
pay for high end equipment but the more I read and inform myself the
less tolerant I am of the prices my local audio store is charging. As
a business man I hate being ripped off and I believe a company must
give value and quality to stay in business for the long term. In
whatever I do I have tried to understand the underlying form of an
object or business to fully appreciate what I am buying and to get a
sense of value. With that said, I am probably your typical high end
audio consumer making my decisions based on listening (which can vary
wildly depending on the room and supporting components), brand, and
the reviews of influential magazines.

I believe the typical high end consumer has a bit of money, not a lot
of time and a passion for the music. What I constantly hear on the
blogs is, as long as the ignorant and uniformed buy high end equipment
the market will exist. Well what is a guy to do? I don=92t have the
time or inclination to get an EE degree so I rely on TRUST....I trust
the manufacturers, marketers, magazines, and sales people. For a
company such as CJ, a long standing and respected brand, to do as you
describe is a gross violation of that trust. Perhaps being ripped
off is part of the high end audio game. I don=92t have a solution to my
problem but thank you for opening my eyes this glaring issue.