Roger Thorpe

Default What is meant by 'timing'

John Atkinson wrote:
Roger Thorpe wrote:

What do they mean when they say that Crasnovorsky Thumpolux transistor
radio, now available at 'only' 180 euros with real wood veneer, has
excellent 'timing'

Martin Colloms wrote about this phenomenon for Stereophile in 1992.
See http://www.stereophile.com/reference/23/.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Thanks,
What he seems to be proposing as that technically accurate reproduction
can fail to give a sense of rhythm in music, while a less transparent
medium can convey more information. Is that it?
He doesn't propose any mechanism by which this might happen, though. I
suppose that is a reductionism /wholeist issue. Might it be that when
people talk about this they are thinking of 'beat' rather than rhythm,
which is conveyed by low frequencies, possibly below the useful range of
their loudspeakers? I suspect that a less 'true' system might introduce
harmonics allowing the 'beat' to be perceived. I suppose it's possible
that what we want is not accuracy, but rather some sort of enhanced
version of the original sound to allow us to perceive all the things
that are going on without the volume, frequency range and visual cues
available at a real performance.
Roger

--
Roger Thorpe

My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!