George Middius

Default What is meant by 'timing'

Roger Thorpe said:

I can see I'm casting pearls before swine. Can you oink in an up tempo?

Ok, I'll just let that insult pass,

I detect the aroma of 'borg. Are you metronic?

tell me though what do you really
understand by that term when used in HIFI reviews?

If the reviewer says the "pace" is "good", I understand he likes the device. If
he says the "timing" is "bad", I understand he doesn't like it.

I ask because I
wonder if it has some agreed interpretation, I can understand how
'presence' means a little mid-frequency emphasis, 'warmth' probably
means a little low-mid emphasis, but I am often confronted by the words
'slam' 'speed and 'timing' and before I write my letter to the editor
(it's Gramophone that I'm talking about by the way) I thought I ought to
find out.

Furthermore, I understand that dyed-in-the-wool nerds do not take to subjective
evaluations because those evaluations are based on feelings rather than dry M&M
rituals.

If the words in question don't evoke recognizable impressions for you, you could
just disregard them. That's what I do. However, I am not hung up on finding some
mythical "absolute accuracy" in ***subjective*** reviews, whereas you might be
so hung up.

Subjective reviews are not for everybody. You might be closer kin to the Bug
Eater than to Normals. If so, you would believe that you can determine exactly
how a component will sound in your system either by examining the published
specifications or running a bunch of "tests" with probes and meters.

..
..
..