Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

Default iTunes Match -- What am I missing

In article ,
Audio Empire wrote:

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:51:06 -0800, Robert Peirce wrote
(in article ):

I read an article about iTunes Match in MacWorld and they said it was
possible to "upgrade" your tunes to 256 kbps. My CD downloads are
already 1411 (although I made the error of storing the early ones as aif
instead of m4a) and I have some 96/24 stuff that is 2600+. Is 256
correct or do they mean 2560? If 256, what the heck would that be?

At the present time, iTunes by itself does not support anything higher than
16-bit, 44.1 KHz and it supports 192 kbps as the default MP3 setting. BUT, if
you select "custom" under the MP3 import option in iTunes Preferences, it
will rip stereo MP3s at up to 320 mbps.

I discover you can also select custom under AIFF and get some very high
rates. I am already doing 44.1/16 for CDs. I have to re-download some
96/24 WAV files and see if I can convert them.

It turns out Apple has AIFC, but it really isn't compressed. It is just
reverse bit AIF. I didn't know that so I tried to avoid using it.

I also discovered the iTunes released with 10.7 seems to have had
different defaults or it reset the defaults I was using. At any rate,
instead of 1411 (44.1X16X2) I was getting 256(VBR).