Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bob Marcus Bob Marcus is offline

Default iTunes Match -- What am I missing

On Feb 10, 1:51=A0pm, Robert Peirce wrote:
I read an article about iTunes Match in MacWorld and they said it was
possible to "upgrade" your tunes to 256 kbps. My CD downloads are
already 1411 (although I made the error of storing the early ones as aif
instead of m4a) and I have some 96/24 stuff that is 2600+. Is 256
correct or do they mean 2560? If 256, what the heck would that be?

What you're missing is that iTunes Match is not putting your music on
Apple's servers. It is allowing your devices access to Apple's copy of
any music that you legitimately own. And its copy is 256 kbps AAC. So
that's all you get.

IOW, it gives you anywhere access to any song you own, which is great
for people whose music collection exceeds their device's storage. And
the sonic hit is pretty benign. If you want higher resolution on you
iPhone or whatever, you'll have to put it on the device yourself.

bob