Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default how to force a stereo output to mono without a mixer

"AZ Nomad" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
"AZ Nomad" wrote...
Richard Crowley wrote:
The simple and inexpensive method is to just use a "Y-cable"
which connects the Left and Right outputs together to form a
monaural signal combined from both. This is effective most of
the time, and with reasonable quality.

That's a terrible solution. If you mix them and the outputs don't
like being shorted together then you'll end up with horrible
distortion.

Yes that is the common theory. However, I have actually done
this many times and I have NEVER had "horrible distortion".
Sorry to hear that you have had such poor luck.

If you listen using something better than $5 computer speakers, the
distortion isn't subtle.

Sorry. My reality doesn't correlate with your theory.
Good luck with that.