Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default Sue you, sue me blues

Bill Graham wrote:

Les Cargill wrote:
Ron Capik wrote:
On 5/27/2011 4:41 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Bill Graham wrote:
I do perform it for free. And, I don't mind paying for the sheet
music, or for CD's of the music. but when the BMI police tell the
Pizza store owner (or whoever) that they have to pay $1000 dollars
a year because he is using their music to draw customers into his
establishment and we are playing there for free, so he has little
choice but to stop us, then I object to that.

Then, do something about it.
We're tired of hearing about it.
--scott

Bill,
you are probably an intelligent person and
even a logical person but you are doing a
downright terrible job of selling your case!

Now, I'm not a musician nor have I been doing
any sound work for several years, so I don't
have a dog in your fight.

That said, it seems the charges for and enforcement
of performances are seemingly both arbitrary and
non-uniformly enforced.

Thus: [en absurdum] can I sing in the shower
...if it can be heard in the business next door?
Can I sing in public, walking down the street?
Can I sing in a (public) park? Can I play my guitar
in the park? How about in a parking lot? What if a
friend (or friends) join(s) me? How close is my
arrangement to being a derivative work, and who
decides? What is the royalty value of said performance,
along with why and who decides. What is the current
value of the catalog from which the performance is derived?

OK Bill, maybe you want to expand on some of those
points.

[Note: I never said nineteen-twenty-whatever ... etc.]

Later...
Ron Capik
--

Perhaps Bill should be awarded the Grand Galactic Inquisitor Award.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGbPs5y3oz8

I wonder if, when you guys reach 65, (or 62) and start collecting Social
Security, whether you will notice that the government cheats you out of the
check following the month you retire. that will probably be around $1500 or
more. I figure that they cheat the geezers out of over 2.5 Billion dollars a
year that way. But you really aren't interested, are you?

I'll be 67 in the fall. You're a ****ing idiot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri