Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default curved or straight tonearm?

On Sep 26, 10:06=A0am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Rich Teer" wrote in message

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011, Edward wrote:

i'm looking at seriously upgrading the turntable situation for my "at
home" stereo set up. serious in the sense of quality and that i would
like this to be the last turntable i buy. maybe...
so my question is this: do i go with a curved or straight tonearm??
remember, this is for my home set up and not for taking out of the
house and DJ'ing with.

I don't think the shape of the arm is important per se, provided the
offset angle ends up being correct. =A0That said, all the better arms
I can think of off the top of my head are straight, so I guess there's
your answer!

Correct. The shortest distance between the pivot and the stylus is always=

straight line. =A0Therefore the straight tube with the cartridge mounted =

at an
appropriate offset angle and overhang distance is the most likely to have
minimal mass, all other things being equal.

How come nobody to-date has mentioned a linear-tracking arm? I have
two in-service, a Rabco and a Revox. After the initial set-up and
tweaking, they both have performed flawlessly for many years - likely
with no more maintenance than with any given pivot-arm system - but
then I would not know that.

Sure, legacy equipment may be a bit tougher to find in excellent
condition - but not all that tough.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Pays you money, takes you chances.