Paul Vina

Default dual coil vs single coil

But that refers to single coil subs. A single 2 ohm sub and a dual 4 ohm in
parallel for a 2 ohm load will behave almost exactly the same. There will
be some differences because of the extra resistance and mass of the second
coil on the dvc sub, but they will work the same and sound indistinguishable
from each other.

Paul Vina

"Sam Carleton" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 at 17:10 GMT, JohanWagener wrote:
What is the advantage of buying a dual coil sub compared to a single

coil.
Someone explained that you only need dual coil subs if you plan to use

two.

Well, I see that everyone seems to say that there is no difference.
I am not one to argue because I don't know, but I did find this snip
at the Boston Acoustic's web site:

source: http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Manuals/y2ohm.pdf

--------------------- Snip ---------------------

2-Ohm Subs vs. Dual Voice-coil Subs

When comparing a dual 4-ohm voice coil wired in
parallel (yielding a 2-ohm load) to a single 2-ohm
voice coil, the single coil will handle more
power. As previously stated, the windings on a
2-ohm coil are of a larger gauge than a 4-ohm
coil. This fact does not change in a dual voice
coil subwoofer. A smaller gauge is a smaller gauge
no matter how many coils are used or how they are
wired. Dual voice coils also increase inductance
compared to a single coil, resulting in higher
distortion.

This make sense to me. Is Boston Acoustics simply blowing smoke or
is this true?

--
See my links engine for a collection of sites that
might be of interest to you. Your additions will