Posted to rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default CBS Labs RIAA Test Record on eBay

"Sergey Kubushin" wrote in message

In rec.audio.tubes Arny Krueger wrote:
"Sergey Kubushin" wrote in message

I also have several different test records but none of
them addresses testing frequency response for RIAA
compliance. They are quite useful for other testing
aspects though.

Many of the better oldies from "the days of" , like the
CBS STR series, are still very good by modern standards.

Most people seem to have bought test records and then
never used them, as most of the ones I got from eBay
were pristene.

Yep, all those I've got from Ebay were pristine. And they
do not have to be especially good or audiofool.

They are a varied lot ranging from those sold by Poular Science magazine, to
Stereo Review, to CBS labs.

This
particular one I need for testing my MC/MM preamps with
particular cartridges because they have aperiodic
correction that must be adjusted to the cartridge it
works with. Inverse RIAA network can not do this and the
best way to test everything is a proper test record. That
allows for testing of the entire path, from
cartridge/tonearm to the preamp output.

That is IME a very important procedure, that improves sound quality.

In contrast, a modern test record like the HFN LP run
about $50 or more.

They are not modern, just less vintage, yeah?

AFAIK the current high-priced spread are very recent
masterings/cuttings/pressings, not NOS. I own several.