Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default headphones

"Arny Krueger" writes:

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
ual.NET
On Fri, 6 May 2011 11:59:54 -0400, Nate Najar wrote
(in article
):

I have a pair of sony mdr7506 and they
sound terrible.

Nate,

Please define terrible?

Rough high end, mid-bass accentuation, no real deep bass. Poor isolation.

Between 2000 (I that's when I think Nate said he got his) and 2004 (when I got mine)
they perhaps changed some things. My 7506s have a reasonably smooth top end (perhaps
tipped up slightly but not much), mid bass seems about where it should be, and some
exaggeration in the 40-80 hz range.

But I also wonder about the fill material in the cups that seat around your head. If
this became stiffer with age rather than nicely squishy when new, you'd indeed lose
low end.

One stupid thing that happens with these phones: the wire leading into the driver
can get caught in the yoke, cause the cup not to seat all the way. The mid bass does
then rise, and the very low end goes away. Top can get apparently harsher too,
because the bottom half of the spectrum has been so screwed up.

YMMV.

Frank
Mobile Audio