Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default headphones

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, the pinnae are considered to have a meaningful
effect on the "energy balance" of the sounds entering the canal.

They do, but it's not the most significant effect that causes the
headphone response to differ from the standard ear.

It is measurable, though. And when the headphone alters the
shape of the earlobe that causes measurable response changes too.

No argument. So why do we generally agree on the relative
quality of headphones?

I'm not sure that people overall really do. There are a lot of people with
very strong opposing views about headphones.
Then again, the same can be said about speakers.

I don't think that's generally true of people who listen to acoustic music.

We disagree on many things, but I'm certain Arny and I would strongly agree
on which headphones were "better" or "worse", and why.