Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default headphones

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Because recordings that are miked and mixed for stereo are done so
with the intention of playing them back in a room with speakers. So
there are room effects and crosstalk (well, crosstalk is a horribly
oversimplified way of thinking about it) created, rather than each
channel directly going into individual ears.

I'm talking about basic sound quality.

Many years ago, when I owned Acoustat Sixes, I was much surprised to find
that -- to these ears -- their basic sound quality was somewhat superior to
my STAX Lambda Signature headphones, which sounded slightly "mechanical" in
comparison. This made little sense, because the STAXes were driven directly
from a STAX transformerless amplifier.

The thing is, though, because the presentation is so totally different, you
really can't make comparisons between speakers and headphones. And if you
can't do that, you can't really make comparisons between headphones and
the original source (unless you are talking about binaural recordings). And
if that's the case then you're pretty much up in the air.