Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default headphones

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message

I tested the M40 and the SRH-440 in store and could not
tolerate the fit or the sound of the M40s for more than
half a track! My SRH-440s, HD-280s, and 7506 all sound
more like each other than the ATH-M40 sounds like ANY of
them. Hence my question - is the m40 a diffused?

If memory serves I picked up a pair of M40s for someone who was looking for
a cheaper solution. I was not overly impressed but the ultimate end user who
is generally inexperienced with high quality headphones was, so no harm
done.

I suspect that the M40s primarily differ in that they use a smaller and
different driver. 40mm for the M40 and 45 mm for the M50s.