Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default headphones

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:

This is certainly common sense, because most headphones don't interact
strongly with the pinnae, and therefore the pinnae's "coloration" would

be
reduced or removed. But this doesn't seem to be true in practice. If you

ask
listeners which headphones they consider the most-accurate, there is a

broad
consensus. (For example, you and I would agree that the 580 is a

relatively
neutral reproducer.) In other words, most listeners "hear" headphones

much
as they hear sounds in the space surrounding them. *

It's not the pinnae, it's the ear canal volume forming a resonant pole.

Unless I'm mistaken, the pinnae are considered to have a meaningful effect
on the "energy balance" of the sounds entering the canal.

They do, but it's not the most significant effect that causes the headphone
response to differ from the standard ear.

It is measurable, though. And when the headphone alters the shape of the
earlobe that causes measurable response changes too.