hank alrich

haligonab wrote:

I've got a Beyer M500 on the way. At present I have available a
Soundcraft Spirit FX8 board and a (ahem) Presonus Blue Tube pre. I'm
also considering a Studio Projects VTB-1, based on reviews I've read
here. I recall someone (was it Harvey Gerst?) saying that the VTB-1
sounded good with his vintage RCA ribbon mic. Would this translate
well to the Beyer M500? Budgetary limitations are important at the
moment.

The M500 is not much like the RCA, and has much more output than many
ribbons. I've had no problems for years using mine with the likes of
Mackie 1202, Soundcraft 200B, A&H GL2200 or similar grade preamps. Use
it first with what you already have and maybe save your money for an RNP
from FMR Audio, which would put you in possession of a very versatile
preamp..

--ha