Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chevdo

Default what program will find the loudest file in a group of files?

In article ,
says...

Using Wavlab, I meta-normalized about 150 files, just to get the
relative listening volumes about the same. However, I really hate
playing through every single file by hand to find the specific loudest
file in the group, in order to see how much I need to raise the volume
on the others, before burning the CD.
For example, if my hottest song in a group of songs is peaking at
about -4.23, I would then expect to raise ALL of the songs by about
+4.15, just prior to burning to a CD. (a series of Cds, actually).
Is there a program that will give me the actual volume stats on a
large group of files, just just I don't have to do them, one at a time.
By the way, these are all mono files.
I used to have a free program on my old computer that zipped through and
then listed all the audio levels in a group of files, but I don't recall
the name of the program. It would seem to me that Wavlab should be able
to do this, but I haven't figured out how to do it. I'll appreciate any
suggestions.
al

Normalize them all to RMS, quit playing around with matching peaks. Unless
you've crushed the waveform with compression, normalizing to peaks is not
going to result in the same relative volume level of every file. Normalizing
to RMS will. And of course Wavelab can tell you the peak and RMS, just click
up properties for the file.