Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julian

Default what program will find the loudest file in a group of files?

On Mon, 29 May 2006 15:25:38 GMT, Alan Cassaro
wrote:

Using Wavlab, I meta-normalized about 150 files, just to get the
relative listening volumes about the same. However, I really hate
playing through every single file by hand to find the specific loudest
file in the group, in order to see how much I need to raise the volume
on the others, before burning the CD.
For example, if my hottest song in a group of songs is peaking at
about -4.23, I would then expect to raise ALL of the songs by about
+4.15, just prior to burning to a CD. (a series of Cds, actually).
Is there a program that will give me the actual volume stats on a
large group of files, just just I don't have to do them, one at a time.
By the way, these are all mono files.
I used to have a free program on my old computer that zipped through and
then listed all the audio levels in a group of files, but I don't recall
the name of the program. It would seem to me that Wavlab should be able
to do this, but I haven't figured out how to do it. I'll appreciate any
suggestions.
al

Al,

There is already a program that does this automatically for mp3's,
called mp3 gain:

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

There has been a standard proposed for this with wav files too, but
appears it hasn't been implemented yet:

http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org/...ormat_wav.html

Maybe this information is out of date as you seem to have already been
able to do this in the past.

Julian