Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default Live Sound, Mixing Boards, and Me

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 03:58:43 -0700, Gary Eickmeier wrote
(in article ):

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

I have done this type of recording although I don't enjoy it much and the
results are nothing special. Like you say - multichannel mono and no
"stereo"
at all. Since the drums and sax are both acoustic instruments, and
ostensibly, the electronic instruments are each playing through their own
instrument amplifiers there IS a soundfield. What I usually do to capture
that is to set up my stereo mike to pick up the overall soundfield and
then
augment the electronic instruments that need it with a direct connection
using phone-plug "Y" adapters (between the instrument output and the
board.
Some electronic instruments have two outputs - one to the amplifier, and
the
other to the mixer. These don't need a "Y" adapter.) and long guitar cords
directly into the mixer. I don't recommend direct electrical connections
with
the electric guitars, though, So much of the guitar's sound depends on the
amplifier/speaker. Forget the contact mike on the sax though. Wind
instruments don't sound natural when "Frapped", so let the stereo mike
setup
pick up that and the drum kit directly. You might want to use auxiliary
mikes on the drums, but often that's not necessary - but that's a
case-by-case thing. Definitely use direct connection for synthesizers,
Fender-Rhodes and other electronic keyboards, electronic drum kits,
electronic marimbas, etc. You'll have to carefully pan-pot the
electronically
connected instruments into their EXACT physical locations so the direct
connections don't "fight" with the acoustical pickup, but merely augment
it.
It sounds difficult, but once you start to set-up, it becomes pretty
apparent
what to do.

Thanks for that - very helpful to have your insight and experience. I
probably will not be asked to record them - they have some company doing
that and they have 2 CDs out already. But I sure did get set to thinking
about it.

I fully realize that we 'philes and some professionals get too absorbed in
the imaging part of the business. When you attend the symphony or these pop
concerts, there is no "imaging" as such - just good or bad sound and the
visual image of what you are listening to.

Gary Eickmeier

Symphonies image (unless they use sound reinforcement), pop concerts (ALWAYS
through sound reinforcement (PA) amps and speakers) do not. Also, at live
events you have the combination of your ears and your eyes to localize
sounds. Listening in the home, with your ears alone, you are deprived of one
sense (sight), so aural imaging and soundstage cues become doubly important.