Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default The Vinylizer

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:03:35 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

Why would anybody want to add the BAD things about vinyl
to their CD playback?

Sentimentality.

Balderdash and blarney! There are things from vinyl
playback that I might WANT to add to a CD (like
musicality and warmth and a sense of real instruments
playing in real space), but the above mentioned vinyl
artifacts are not among them.

I never said otherwise.

If you want to add warmth, there are always equalizers. Of course equalizing
warmth into a badly-mastered recordings (and cold-sounding LPs definately
exist) takes skill and effort that many lack.

These are things that I take great
care to avoid by handling my vinyl record collection
correctly and taking great care to keep them clean, dust
and warp free.

That helps, but it does not completely resolve the
problems.

Of course it doesn't, but that's beside the point. The
point is who would WANT to add those things to a medium
that doesn't have them?

Like I said, sentimentality.

I still remember obtaining a MP3 of a LP transfer of a jazz number that I
used to listen to frequently back in the days of vinyl. Yes it was a little
harsh and reedy like vinyl can be and there were tics and pops, but it
brought back memories of a certain hot summer night, and enough said in
public about that one! ;-) The tics and pops even had the sharp slightly
ringy quality that one of my old cartridges, maybe an Empire 108, had.

I listen to records because they still
give me a great deal of listening pleasure and the the
things that this "Vinylizer" brings to the party, are
those very things that I strive to avoid.

The only way to totally avoid them is to avoid vinyl.

Yeah, like anybody with a large record collection is dumb
enough to do that!

My large record collection magically transformed itself into CDs through the
magic of reselling the LPs before they lost much of their value.

How about a
"CDizer" a device that adds the harshness and a flat
sound stage with poor imaging that characterized many
early CDs and players to modern CD playback?

That's just bad mastering, and there is no method to its
madness.

That's not the point either.

Why not?