Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default The Vinylizer

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:03:35 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 06:30:20 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Frank" wrote in message

Il 25/07/2010 23.49, bob ha scritto:
Occasionally, during one of our long threads about
vinyl vs. digital,someone suggests the invention of a
"vinylizer," a knob that can dial in any amount of the
various distortions characteristic of vinyl playback.
Well, it isn't that simple yet, but technology finds a
way:

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/

bob

.. various distortions?

Read the web site?

Mechanical Noise - The amount of turntable motor rumble
and noise Electrical Noise - Internally generated
electrical noise, such as 60 Hz grounding hum
Wear Control - how worn out the record is, from brand
new to played a few thousand times
Dust - The amount of dust on the record
Scratch -The number and depth of scratches on the record
Warp -The amount of warping and the warp shape for the
record - from no warp to the edges totally melted and
warped

These are all common to vinyl playback, and generally
when they are reduced as much as the art allows by
traditional means, they are still audible.

Also, a number of kinds of common vinyl-related
distoritons are not mentioned including:

Tracking distortion
Tracing distortion
Flutter

Why would anybody want to add the BAD things about vinyl
to their CD playback?

Sentimentality.

Balderdash and blarney! There are things from vinyl playback that I might
WANT to add to a CD (like musicality and warmth and a sense of real
instruments playing in real space), but the above mentioned vinyl artifacts
are not among them.

These are things that I take great
care to avoid by handling my vinyl record collection
correctly and taking great care to keep them clean, dust
and warp free.

That helps, but it does not completely resolve the problems.

Of course it doesn't, but that's beside the point. The point is who would
WANT to add those things to a medium that doesn't have them?

I listen to records because they still
give me a great deal of listening pleasure and the the
things that this "Vinylizer" brings to the party, are
those very things that I strive to avoid.

The only way to totally avoid them is to avoid vinyl.

Yeah, like anybody with a large record collection is dumb enough to do that!

How about a
"CDizer" a device that adds the harshness and a flat
sound stage with poor imaging that characterized many
early CDs and players to modern CD playback?

That's just bad mastering, and there is no method to its madness.

That's not the point either. The point is, that just like with the
"Vinylizer", nobody is going to want to relive those days and those problems.

Makes no sense.

Some people do the darnedest things!

Yeah, that's for sure. Many people throw babies out with bath water too.