Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

Default iTunes Match -- What am I missing

In article ,
Robert Peirce wrote:

I discover you can also select custom under AIFF and get some very high
rates. I am already doing 44.1/16 for CDs. I have to re-download some
96/24 WAV files and see if I can convert them.

It turns out Apple has AIFC, but it really isn't compressed. It is just
reverse bit AIF. I didn't know that so I tried to avoid using it.

I also discovered the iTunes released with 10.7 seems to have had
different defaults or it reset the defaults I was using. At any rate,
instead of 1411 (44.1X16X2) I was getting 256(VBR).

And Apple Lossless seems to preserve 96/24. However, just to be sure, I
am preserving the original 96/24 wAV files.