Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Dubbing Reel-to-Reel to CD

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
newsxxci.30503$xq1.2955@pd7urf1no
Arny Krueger wrote:

I can't quite understand the hype around Audacity. I
guess my computer is just so slow that it reveals the
bugs. On a 1GHz processor though, it cannot actually
record sound without dropouts and glitches. Once those
glitches are in the data stream, it cannot write out to
a .wav file that will write to
a standard audio CD.

Just because you have dropouts and glitches on some
particular computer, does not necessarily supporting
claims about computers in general, even computers of
just that clock speed. I've seen 400 MHz machines record
multitrack flawlessly, and I've see 3 GHz machines that
added dropouts and clicks to just stereo.

Yup, seen all that myself. Our main studio machine for
years was an Athlon 800Mhz with 128MB RAM, running
Win98SE, with an ADAT PCR card for ADAT control and
transfer. It would nicely stream all 8 ADAT tracks of 44.1k or 48kHz,
16-bit audio, without a hiccup (granted,
had to use a SCSI drive for that, as ATA-66 just wouldn't
handle it).

I started out multitracking 16 tracks on a 667 MHz Pentium 2 , and an ATA66
drive. It had to be defragged pretty frequently, though.